Best of Bollywood 2015 Rewind: A great year of memoirs to cherish in time to come
Best of Bollywood 2015 Rewind:
Bollywood 2015 has been the year of blockbusters, bans, controversies, crores club, gossips and ventures. Bollywood’s un-quenching thirst for entertainment is inevitable, well, it’s its elixir after all and with the year ending, industry has a number of reasons to celebrate. Few of the stories of 2015 as follows:
- Priyanka Chopra in ‘Quantico’ : Priyanka has indeed made it to Hollywood as lead
actor in the popular TV series Quantico where she plays an FBI recruit Alex Parish. This Quantico showrunner has lead her stardom as well of the bollywood to a whole new level.
As she said at the Television Critics Association press tour, Chopra wanted to be cast “for the respect of being an actor, not for the color of my skin.” She added: “Going to school in America, I never saw anyone with my color skin [on TV].”
- ‘India’s Daughter’ banned in India: India’s Daughter a documentary by a British film-maker Leslee Udwin. The documentary was based on real life unfortunate incident about the fatal gang-rape of a young woman on a New Delhi bus in 2012. Co-produced by well-known Indian television journalist Dibang, the film includes an interview with one of the four jailed attackers, Mukesh Singh, who said women are more responsible for rape than men. Clips of the interview shown on news channels sparked local and international outrage as well as a social media campaign to ban the film.
- ‘Phantom’ banned in Pakistan: Saif Ali Khan starrer ‘Phantom’ based on the aftermath of the 2008 Mumbai attacks that left 166 people dead. According to The Associated Press, the court ruling was delivered after Hafiz Saeed, a Pakistani with a $10 million bounty on his head for his alleged involvement in the attacks, filed a motion asking that the film is banned. Phantom‘s storyline revolves around an Indian covert mission to assassinate Saeed.
- Salman’s ‘drunk driving’ issue boxed: Salman Khan has been hitting headlines now
and then after the May 2002 incident when he was convicted of drunk driving. The case took a lot of time and after years of plea and hearing final this year 2015, Salman got a relief finally when he was acquitted by a higher court after a plea hearing. With this incident, Salman was highly condemned for his conviction but taking a roll into the grossing his each movie picked doesn’t seems to have impacted even a bit with the above incident.
- Digital Distribution in India: India is seen as the land of opportunity and when it comes to Bollywood the tracks are endless. Bollywood has grown large with its superstars, songs and scenes but another aspect which has been side-by-side with all these factors is the technology. Technology has given bollywood a trident to conquer cinematic with entertainment. Eros Now has been the face of digital distribution in India but with the news of Netflix launch in India in 2016, a global leader in its class may have given cold feet to Eros.
In another first, Netflix streamed Anurag Kashyap’s two-part Indian epic Gangs of Wasseypur as a series on its U.S. and worldwide services. Kashyap said that while “expanding a film’s audience after its theatrical release,” digital distribution also offered opportunities for India’s evolving independent scene. “We do not need to deal with obnoxious censorship and we have creative freedom,” he said, perhaps pointing to how 2016 could be the year of digital content disruption in more ways than one.
- Censor Board Conflicts: There has been a lot of controversies over conflicts with the censors board on various movies this year. Censor was so stringent this time that even Hollywood was not spared when the latest James Bond series Spectre was to be launched in India thereby the movie had to shun the kissing scene for release in India. All this hue & cry resulted in outbreak over twitter ridiculing the censor. A hashtag that went viral opposing censorship : #SanskariJamesBond (“Righteous James Bond”). “#SanskariJamesBond does not kill his enemy, he teaches them about karma,” said one tweet. And the very recent controversy around Bejoy Nambiar’s Wazir for deleting the scenes, more.
- Hollywood Box Office rules along with India: This year Hollywood released Furious
7 and Jurassic World in India which break the barrier of One billion rupees grossings for the blockbusters. This is the highest ever earning after Avatar in 2010. Intriguing part: both these blockbuster features Indian actors as well, Irrfan Khan in Jurassic World and Ali Fazal in Furious 7. On the other hand Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation also collected about $6.6 million (420 million rupees) during its opening weekend, making it the biggest opener of all time in the country for the Paramount studio.
- Khans turned 50: This year the superstars, The King Khan, The Dabangg Khan & Mr. Perfectionist all 3 have made it to a half century of their life. But with time they have not grown older but more experienced and more versatile and of course more famous and rich. Also(Birthday Special): Salman Khan, Shahrukh Khan, Aamir Khan
Shahid Kapoor tied knot with Mira Rajput: Shahid Kapoor is one of the heart throbbing and El Classico of modern Bollywood. His count for blockbusters could be a little less but his work is critically acclaimed at large and what to say about his popularity, he was just the most eligible bachelor right before he found Mira, with a humongous fan followers. Shahid-Mira got married on 7th July 2015, surely must have broken million hearts of his female fans. We wish him the best of his married life.
- Top Grossing Blockbusters 2015: The year in itself went electrifying for the Bollywood superstars. With hardest hits on box office, whooping earnings and limitless stardom, they have attained it all. Shahrukh Khan with his biggest blockbuster Dilwale across globe has earned him inevitable love and support of his huge fan followers. Dilwale is one of teh top grossing movie of 2015. We also eagerly await his upcoming Raees. Salman Khan is not far behind giving us Bajrangi Bhaijan which is the highest lifetime grosser with earning above 300 crores. His other big release includes Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo, highly endorsed by the audience but failed to make to the heart of critics due to weak story line but still enjoys the 200 crore club. The surprise came from the youngsters in the bollywood, Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh with Bajirao Mastani. Bajirao Mastani
is acknowledged to be the biggest blockbuster of the year leaving behind Shahrukh-Kajol starer Dilwale. Bajirao Mastani is an epic historical romance and both the actors have lived up to the expectations of the critics and the audiences as well. Both Deepika and Ranveer have been highly appreciated and also won the Best Actor Female and Best Actor Male respectively at Guild Awards. Deepika however won the award due to her earlier hit Piku, but her piece of work as Mastani is uber appreciating. Deepika Padukone turned out to be the “Queen of Bollywood” with 3 out of 3 critically and commercially acclaimed movies this year which includes Piku, Tamasha and of course Bajirao Mastani
Bollywood’s year of 2015 has turned out quite remarkable for the fraternity and entertaining for the audiences. Bollywood is growing at a huge pace and breaks its own records year after year, prying for symbolising bollywood as “The Bollywood”. We are just at the edge of entering into a new year and we wish to see that the coming year and even years after this entertainment club will be the highest grosser in money and fame in the world. Here we stand warmth to welcome the new year
Happy New Year 2016