Marvel’s new movie ‘Eternals’ is all set to arrive in theatres across the world. Here’s the release date, trailer, star cast, plot and other details you need to know.
Marvel’s Eternals bring up a whole spectrum of new superheroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Eternals are those archaic aliens that have lived, or say hidden, for around 7,000 years on planet Earth. Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, an unexpected tragedy occurs. Observing all this, Eternals reunite themselves and protect the planet from their cruel companions, the Deviants, for the sake of humanity.
We would like to tell you that Eternals is going to be a massive film, casting all the eminent actors, enclosing Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, Lauren Ridloff, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek, Lia McHugh, Don Lee, Kit Harington, Gemma Chan, and Barry Keoghan! Also, the MCU chose none other than Chloé Zhao for the direction of the film. You must have known that Chloé Zhao has won the Oscar for her movie, Nomadland, among many other awards in her directing career.
With such a decent quality of personnel, you can already make a divination in your psyche about the film’s success. Now, without wasting any time, we shall reveal all the crucial knowledge about the film that you, and many other fans out there like you, would cherish to know.
Eternals Release Date
Beginning with the release date, Eternals will release in theatres on November 5, 2021 in the United States.
Still waiting for a good teaser or a trailer, we can predict that it’ll be out in a month or two. Marvel understands fans’ excitement like us, and it has already given us a glimpse of the movie in its last Youtube video, ‘Marvel Celebrates Movies’. In the video below, starting from the duration of 2:20, we can see the entry of lead actors in action sequences. With Stan Lee’s voice and many breathtaking movie scenes, this video would indeed permeate your heart with emotions.
Cast and Characters
The film is directed by Chloé Zhao and stars an ensemble cast, as discussed earlier. Many well-known personalities such as Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, and others are in the lead role. Here, we are going to discuss every Eternal in brief, though involving all the mandatory details.
- Thena: This character, portrayed by Angelina Jolie, is a ferocious warrior who develops a close bond with Gilgamesh for centuries. She has the utmost ability to construct any weapon out of celestial energy.
- Ikaris: Ikaris, played by Richard Madden, is the leader of the Eternals. He can fly, can project celestial energy beams from his eyes, and also has superhuman strength. No offence, but the character is more like Superman, to be precise.
- Kingo: Now, this character has a Bollywood essence. Kingo can project celestial projectiles from his bare hands. He becomes a Bollywood star, enamoured with fame, to mingle in on Earth. The actor playing it is Kumail Nanjiani, who wanted to create a perfect blend of John McClane’s attitude (from ‘Die Hard’) and the look of Bollywood star ‘Hrithik Roshan’.
- Makkari: Depicted by Lauren Ridloff, this Eternal character is deaf. Having celestial super speed, she can probe any planet. Being the first-ever deaf character in the MCU, she has an advantage as well, I.e. she is not affected by the sounds created by her while using her super speed.
- Phastos: Phastos, portrayed by Brian Tyree Henry, is the first-ever gay character presented in the MCU. Phastos is an Eternal who uses intelligence as a superpower and helps humans to progress in technological advancements.
- Ajak: Ajak represents a wise and spiritual character Played by Salma Hayek, Ajak has the ultimate power to communicate with the Celestials. Aiding the advancements of human civilization, she can now use her ability to heal anyone.
- Sprite: This character seems to be a 12-year-old kid. However, Sprite can make life-like illusions at any time and place. Apart from being such a small girl, she is much more powerful, sharper, and subtle than she seems.
- Gilgamesh: Characterized by Dong Lee, this Eternal is the strongest. He becomes a companion with Thena when they are separated from the other Eternals. Using his powers, he can propel an exoskeleton comprising celestial energy.
- Dane Whitman: Apart from the rest of the Eternals, Dane Whitman is a human being, more a warrior who owns a mysterious and remarkable sword. This character, also known as Black Knight, previously appeared in ‘The Avengers’, 2012. Kit Harington portrays the character Dane Whitman.
- Sersi: Sersi poses an empathetic power with the power of manipulation. She has loved Ikaris for around seven centuries. She acts as a museum manager for blending into Earth with humans. Except in Eternals, Gemma Chan portrayed Sersi in MCU’s ‘Captain Marvel’, 2019 also.
- Druig: Depicted by Barry Keoghan, Druig is an unfriendly Eternal who possesses the celestial power of controlling others’ brains. He remains detached from the other Eternals because he doesn’t like how they interact with human beings on Earth.
Plot and Comic Background
In the comics, The Celestials being ancient overseers, arrive on Earth and divide all Earth beings into three categories: Humans, Eternals, and Deviants. A long while ago, a civil war broke out between the Deviants and the Eternals.
The Deviants became evil counterparts to Eternals, and as a result, they broke into two groups, Kronos and Uronos leading them respectively. The Kronos leaded group won the war and remained on Earth while the Uronos were deported to Titan. Yeah, the same Titan we saw in MCU’s Phase 1, 2, and 3 movies. Also, it is the same planet from which Thanos came. Therefore, we can conclude, Thanos himself was an Eternal!