Sushant Singh Rajput starer Detective Byomkesh Bakshy is releasing today along with Furious 7. Directed by Dibakar Banerjee, Detective Byomkesh Bakshy is a crime thriller which also stars Anand Tiwari and Swastika Mukherjee.
Well, the reviews are out and critics seems to have mixed response. One thing is sure that DBB will not make it big at domestic Box Office. The movie has to lock horns with the biggest international release of the year – – Fast and Furious 7. Fast and Furious is receiving superb reviews from the critics. The movie is already off to a record-breaking opening at Indian Box Office with first day collection of around 11 crores.
Let’s read what critics have to say on Detective Byomkesh Bakshy.
1) Detective Byomkesh Bakshy Critics Review Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama: There are many factors which may make the film struggle at the Box Office. A few of them include unwanted violence (esp. in the second half), a plot that went haywire and also too much of thriller elements. Generally, any kind of murder mystery comes with a sinister motive, which gets revealed towards the end. But, in the case of DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY!, the film gets dragged on endlessly, even after the culprit has been identified! On the whole, DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY! can be skipped, without any regrets.
Rating : 2 stars
Read complete movie review @ Bollywood Hungama
2) Detective Byomkesh Bakshy Critics Review Subhra Shetty Saha from Mid Day: Credit to the director perhaps, but each of the characters, leading with Sushant and Neeraj Kabi, have come up with extremely convincing performances. Only Swastika Mukherjee, the Bengali actress who makes her debut in Hindi films, seemed to be trying too hard to fit into the mysterious character Angoori Devi that she plays. Don’t miss it. Even if just to go back to the magical world of nostalgia created so beautifully and earnestly by Banerjee and cinematographer Nikos Andritsakis.
Rating : 3.5 stars
Read complete movie review @ Mid Day
3) Detective Byomkesh Bakshy Critics Review Manjusha Radhakrishnan from Gulf News: What would have got my vociferous approval is if the ending had lived up to all that promising foreplay. But I wouldn’t write this one off entirely. Give Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! a chance.
Rating : 3 stars
Read complete movie review @ Gulf News
4) Detective Byomkesh Bakshy Critics Review Abhishek Gupta India TV: The only thing that lets down this otherwise perfectly graphed flick is the fact that it’s fictional and has no relation to reality. Also at moments it’s hard to understand few things that might require high intelligence. Detective Byomkesh Bakshi is the perfect answer to the much praised Hollywood’s Sherlock Holmes. It makes you feel proud of your very own Indian detective. Don’t miss it!
Read complete movie review @ India TV
5) Detective Byomkesh Bakshy Critics Review Kusumita Das from Deccan Chronicle: The film follows the core structure of whodunit — the chase, the red herrings, the slow cooked suspense leading up to a grand reveal. There’s a generous spray of blood too, that underlines just how violent those times were. But deviating once again from formula, Dibakar’s exposition scene is only a gateway to the climax. While the surprise element is welcome, there seems to be a stretch there and a theatrical one too. And it doesn’t entirely free your mind of questions either. After a stunning build-up, this is a mild let down. There are two kinds of audiences for this film — those who know Byomkesh and those who don’t. Dibakar has a revelation for both. That’s one case neatly solved.
Rating : 3.5 stars
Read complete movie review @ Deccan Chronicle
Since. the reviews has been mixed, it’s totally up to you whether you want to give it a try or not. I will surely have a go at it for the brave attempt by Yash Raj Films and Dibakar Banerjee.