Lupin Part 2: Netflix’s French thriller Lupin is all set to return with its next set of episodes. Here’s everything we know.
- Lupin part 1 was a huge hit on Netflix and was projected to have been watched by 70 million households.
- The second part containing 5 more episodes will land on Netflix in June.
Fans of French crime drama Lupin have been eagerly waiting for its second part since the first part landed on Netflix. The French drama has emerged as one of Netflix’s biggest international hits to date with Top 10 ranking in more than 10 countries. Fans are super excited for more Lupin episodes due to release next month. Netflix has released a trailer for part 2 and it has got everyone excited. Here is everything you need to know about Lupin part 2:
When is Lupin Part 2 arriving on Netflix?
In January, Netflix announced that Lupin Part 2 will air this summer (2021). Now the streamer has announced the official release date. Lupin Part 2 will hit Netflix on June 11, 2021. Louis Leterrier and Marcela Said directed the first part. Ludovic Bernard has directed Part 2’s first two episodes with Hugo Gélin on the following three.
Lupin Part 2 plot
Created by George Kay and François Uzan, the series follows the central character Assane Diop (Omar Sy), whose father (Fargass Assandé as Babakar) is framed for the theft of an expensive diamond necklace by his employer, the wealthy and powerful Pellegrini family. Babakar hangs himself in his prison cell out of shame, leaving the teenage Assane an orphan.
Twenty-five years later, inspired by a book about gentleman thief Arsène Lupin his father had given him on his birthday, Assane sets out to get revenge on the Pellegrini family, using his charm and mastery of thievery, deception, and disguise.
In the last episode of part 1, Assane finds himself in a difficult situation as he gets traced by Officer Guedira (Soufiane Guerrab) who had noticed various similarities between his crimes and those of fictional thief Arsène Lupin. The police detective confronted him on the beach, which left us wondering if it is all over for Assane. In the climax, Assane was desperately looking for his young Raoul (Etan Simon), kidnapped by the Pelligrini family.
In the trailer released by Netflix on March 5, we see Assane’s desperate search for his son Raoul and cat and mouse game between him and Pelligrini. The trailer description reads,
“Assane’s quest for revenge against Hubert Pellegrini has torn his family to pieces. With his back to the wall, he now has to think of a new plan, even if it means putting himself in danger.”
The trailer clearly suggests that part 2 will be more thrilling and exciting than part 1. We just can’t contain our excitement.
Who stars in Lupin?
Lupin stars Omar Sy as Assane, the Parisian gentleman thief who attracts inspiration from the Arsène Lupin books. Here’s a look at the star cast:
- Omar Sy as Assane Diop, a modern-day gentleman thief.
- Mamadou Haidara as young Assane Diop.
- Ludivine Sagnier as Claire, Assane’s ex-girlfriend and the mother of his child.
- Ludmilla Makowski as young Claire.
- Etan Simon as Raoul, the son of Assane and Claire.
- Fargass Assandé as Babakar, Assane’s late father.
- Antoine Gouy as Benjamin Ferel, Assane’s close friend from his school days.
- Hervé Pierre as Hubert Pellegrini, a business tycoon.
- Nicole Garcia as Anne Pellegrini, Hubert’s wife.
- Clotilde Hesme as Juliette Pellegrini, Hubert and Anne’s daughter.
- Léa Bonneau as young Juliette Pellegrini.
- Vincent Garanger as Gabriel Dumont, the commissioner of the Paris police department.
- Johann Dionnet as young Gabriel Dumont.
- Vincent Londez as Captain Romain Laugier, a police captain tasked with retrieving the Pellegrinis’ necklace.
- Shirine Boutella as Lieutenant Sofia Belkacem.
- Soufiane Guerrab as Youssef Guedira, a detective who uses his knowledge of the Arsene Lupin books to track Assane’s activity.
Lupin is inspired by the Arsène Lupin books, including Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief. You can purchase this book on Amazon.