The Orville Season 3: Release date, plot and everything you need to know about the third season of sci-fi comic drama series.
- Contrary to the rumours, ‘The Orville’ is indeed coming back with its season 3.
- Creator Seth Macfarlane affirmed that the upcoming season will be the most astounding season of all.
- The third season will not air on Fox. Disney is shifting it to Hulu.
The Orville is an American science fiction comedy-drama television series created by Seth MacFarlane. It is set on the titular starship USS Orville (ECV-197), a mid-level exploratory space vessel in the Planetary Union, a 25th-century interstellar alliance of Earth and many other planets. It follows the crew of the starship USS Orville on their episodic adventures. The show has received a positive response from critics and audiences alike and is all set for its third season. It premieres on Hulu (US), Fox (UK), Disney+ Hotstar (India). Fans of the show have been eagerly waiting for updates regarding the upcoming season. Here’s is everything you need to know about The Orville season 3.
What will be the plot of The Orville Season 3?
Season 3 will delve into the fallout from Isaac’s decisions in ‘Identity’ and ‘Identity Part II’ (season two: episodes eight and nine). Season 3 will probably have more episodes that focus on world-building and personality episodes along with the humorous ones.
The show’s executive producer, David Goodman in an interview with Digital Spy said, “We are still going to be doing standalone episodes. However, now we have shown that we can do a deeper dive in the Union, into the aliens, into our characters. So, we will continue that build. But again, it is really important for us for the show to stick to the format. You don’t want anybody confused who has never seen the show before. That is always a goal for us. We don’t want to alienate any new audience member. We’re expanding the characters and storylines, building on everything we’ve done before.”
The Orville Season 3 Cast
Creator and star MacFarlane will return as Captain Ed Mercer. The following cast members to would return for season 3:
- Seth MacFarlane as Captain Ed Mercer, who commands The Orville.
- Adrianne Palicki as Commander Kelly Grayson, first officer of the Orville and Ed Mercer’s ex-wife.
- Penny Johnson Jerald as Doctor Claire Finn, the chief medical officer on The Orville
- Scott Grimes as Lieutenant Gordon Malloy, the helmsman of The Orville and Mercer’s best friend.
- Peter Macon as Lieutenant Commander Bortus, the second officer aboard the USS Orville.
- Halston Sage as Lieutenant Alara Kitan
- J. Lee as Lieutenant John LaMarr, the navigator of The Orville.
- Mark Jackson as Isaac, The Orville science and engineering officer.
- Jessica Szohr as Lieutenant Talla Keyali, the ship’s second Xelayan Chief of Security.
- Anne Winters as Charly Burke
In an interview with Trek Movie, executive producer David Goodman regarding the comeback of Lieutenant Alara Kitan said “I don’t think she is coming back as a regular. But, we love that character… so if there is an opportunity to bring her back story-wise, I think she would be open to it and we would love to have her back.”
- Outlander Season 6: Release Date, Plot and more details
- Lost In Space season 3: Release Date, Plot and more details
- Manifest Season 3: Release Date, Plot, cast and everything we know
The fans are expecting a couple of high-profile additions to the cast. Anne Winters (13 Reasons Why) is joining as a character called Charly Burke, according to Deadline.
Latest Updates On Production
Seth MacFarlane will continue to be the showrunner and along with Jon Cassar direct the show. David Goodman, Jon Favreau, Brannon Braga, Jason Clarke will serve as executive producers. The show is moving from Fox to Hulu.
Shooting for the third season started in October 2019 and it was halfway done when the production was put on halt in March 2020. The production resumed in Dec 2020 only to be halted again for a week in Jan 2021. Ir is expected that the remaining filming will take around 3-4 months.
The Orville season 3 release date
In a statement (via TV Line), MacFarlane said: “My friends at the network understood what I was trying to do with this series, and they’ve done a spectacular job of marketing, launching and programming it for these past two seasons. But as the show has evolved and become more ambitious production-wise, I determined that I would not be able to deliver episodes until 2020, which would be challenging for the network. So we began to discuss how best to support the third season in a way that worked for the show.”
Hulu or Disney hasn’t announced the season 3 premiere date yet. Considering that the production still needs 3-4 months, we can expect The Orville season 3 to premiere by the end of 2021.
The Orville season 3 trailer: When can I watch it?
Expect the trailer to arrive a month before the show’s premiere whenever that’ll be. You can watch season 2 trailer right here:
The Orville Season 3 Episode Count
The first season premiered on Sep 10, 2017, had 12 episodes followed by a second season comprising of 14 episodes. As per the reports coming, the third season would be crunchy and intriguing with 11 episodes.
The Orville: Where to watch?
Currently, you can watch “The Orville” on Hulu or buy it as a download on Redbox, Apple iTunes, Google Play Movies, Vudu, Amazon Video, FandangoNOW, Microsoft Store. In India, you can watch the previous two seasons on Disney+ Hostar.
We will keep on updating this article as soon as we get more official details on The Orville season 3.