Bridgerton Season 2: Netflix has renewed period drama ‘Bridgerton’ for a second season. Release date, cast, plot, and latest updates 2021.
Bridgerton, as you may know, is an American period drama and romantic television series based on the novel series of the same name by Julia Quinn. Set in the Regency era, it is Shonda Rhyme’s first scripted Netflix series. The first season premiered on Netflix on December 25, 2020. With a viewership of 82 million households, it has become the most-watched series on Netflix. Moreover, the show ranked Number 1 on Netflix in 76 countries! After the grand success of the first season, the fans are now waiting for Bridgerton Season 2.
The title of the drama represents the royal Bridgerton family amidst Regency Era London in 1813. A Violet, Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton, is the widowed mother of eight children. She raised her four sons- Anthony, Benedict, Colin, and Gregory, and four daughters- Daphne, Eloise, Francesca, and Hyacinth. “The eight close-knit siblings of the Bridgerton family look for love and happiness in London high society.”
Will there be Bridgerton Season 2?
Following the success of the first season, Netflix renewed the show for a second season in Jan 2021. In fact, in April 2021, creator Van Dusen revealed on Twitter that the series had additionally been renewed for a third and fourth season. A Bridgerton spinoff has been announced as well.
Bridgerton Season 2 Release Date: When will it premiere?
Well, this is what differs Bridgerton, among other things, from the rest of the TV series. They announced even the show’s renewal in the most dramatic manner, winning every fan’s heart, again. Lady Whistledown, we have known as the anonymous news lady who knows all the information in London. Even Queen Charlotte depends on her article for news. They are now making all the official announcements via this newsletter on the social media handles. Below is the official tweet from January 21, 2021, revealing the drama’s return.
Dear Readers, I dare say this may be the most exciting edition of my column yet… pic.twitter.com/jwOJwl6zQi
— Bridgerton (@bridgerton) January 21, 2021
The filming for the second season started in April 2021. However, in July a crew member tested positive, causing filming to shut down for 24 hours. After a few days, another crew member tested positive, putting the production on halt for an indefinite time.
Variety reported in August that filming had officially resumed after nearly a month’s hiatus. “We are back underway. We had to delay because of COVID, but we’re back in it,” Van Dusen said.
Not only this, the official announcement for Bridgerton Season 3 and Season 4 has also been made in the same way. Well, coming to the release date, Netflix hasn’t announced it officially.
Noting that the filming commenced in April 2021, it’s likely we won’t get new episodes until late 2021 or early 2022. The first season dropped on Christmas, so it’s possible that season two will follow suit.
Dearest readers, this author brings a most exciting announcement… pic.twitter.com/sV0QiYcn8z
— Bridgerton (@bridgerton) April 13, 2021
Is there any Episode Reveals?
Lately, on June 14, 2021, the creator, Chris Van Dusen’s official Twitter account showed off the first page of Season 2 Episode 1’s script. Chris thereby revealed details on the season’s first episode. Written by him and directed by Tricia Brock, the title reads, “CAPITAL R RAKE”. It’s still a mystery for all the fans to know what the title signifies.
— Chris Van Dusen (@chrisvandusen) June 14, 2021
What to Expect from the second season? Plot and Storyline
Luckily, we have more than enough revelations to rely upon, as of now. Season 1 of the series, follows the eldest daughter, Daphne Bridgerton, both in books and the Netflix show. She finds her true love, the Duke of Hastings, and married him. However, the Duke will not be appearing in Season 2 as the first season showed a happy ending.
Moreover, Phobe asserted, “I think he’ll definitely be referred to a lot. I think we’ll see the baby. And we’ll just focus more on her relationship with the Bridgerton family.” The below tweet officially confirmed this piece of news.
The second season will follow The Viscount Who Loved Me, the second book in Julia Quinn’s book series. Season 2, as per the novel series, will revolve around the eldest son, Anthony Bridgerton, and his true love interest.
Your Grace, it has been a pleasure. 💜🐝 pic.twitter.com/kX1nIG8pz7
— Bridgerton (@bridgerton) April 2, 2021
Phoebe Dynevor (Daphne) revealed, “We’re very much passing on the baton to the lovely Jonathan Bailey, who plays Anthony, and that will be the main storyline of season 2 and the story arc of season 2.” So the relevant question is who will be the love interest of Anthony and who’ll play that character. We have the answer below in the Cast section, we got it all covered.
Besides all that, Netflix is planning for a Bridgerton spin-off limited series. The below tweet announced this officially. The spin-off will focus on Queen Charlotte’s origin, featuring the young Violet Bridgerton and Lady Danbury.
All Hail The Queen!
Thrilled to announce we’re expanding the Bridgerton universe with a limited series that will tell Queen Charlotte’s origin story — the series will also feature young Violet Bridgerton and young Lady Danbury pic.twitter.com/nshBfETMdN
— Netflix (@netflix) May 14, 2021
Who all will be in the cast of Season 2?
Talking of the cast and characters of Season 2, almost all the mains will return to play their former roles. Unfortunately, except Simon Bassett, the Duke of Hastings, played by Regé-Jean Page. Apart from that, there will be several other new faces reported to appear in Bridgerton Season 2. And we have compiled it all here for you.
- Simone Ashley, as per the announcement on Feb 15, 2021, will be playing the role of Kate Sharma. Kate is the love interest of Anthony, the eldest Bridgerton son, but the novel reads that he’ll marry Kate’s sister, Edwina. Talking of Ashley, she is a popular English actress born in Tamil Nadu, India. She has worked in Sex Education, among ten other TV series and four movies.
- On May 28, 2021, Rupert Evans reportedly joined the cast of Bridgerton Season 2. He will be playing the deceased Edmund Bridgerton, the patriarch of the Bridgerton family. Though, his appearance will more likely be in flashbacks. Edmund is a devoted husband and has always solely guided his eldest son, Anthony, through life’s ups and downs.
- Charithra Chandran, another India-born British actor, joined the cast on April 5, 2021. She is playing none other than Edwina Sharma, Kate’s sister. And you already know if you have read the books, that Anthony will rather marry Edwina eventually. Chandran hasn’t worked in a lot of series or movies, but she got a main role in the spy-thriller Alex Rider.
- Looks like the series has a lot of Indian references. Shelley Conn, a British actress born to Anglo-Indian parents is also in the main cast of Season 2. Her role is confirmed to be of Lady Mary Sharma, Kate and Edwina’s stepmother. Shelley has previously worked in the $150 million TV series, Terra Nova in a lead role.
Other Cast and Characters
- Calam Lynch, widely known for playing the lead in Dunkirk and Mrs. Wilson, will also appear in Season 2. He got the role of Theo Sharpe who is a hardworking printer’s assistant, struggling for equal rights to all.
- Last but not the least, Rupert Young, popularly known for his work in Merlin, will appear as a co-star. As per our private sources, the character’s name is Jack. He is a noble from a royal family like that of the Bridgertons. This character is purely the show’s creation and as it is not specified in the books.
We’ll keep you updated on everything we hear about Bridgerton season 2. You can bookmark this page for all the updates. You can stream Bridgerton season 1 on Netflix.
Last Updated on August 10, 2021 by Umesh