Anurag Kashyap Birthday Special : The man who is far ahead of his peers when it comes to filmmaking in India. The director of cult classics like Dev D and Gangs of Wasseypur is celebrating his 43rd birthday today. On his birthday, Blog to Bollywood presents some lesser know facts about master of experimental cinema.
Born: 10th September 1972
Star Sign: Virgo
About him: “ Winners don’t do different things, they do things differently.” These words are the mirror image Anurag Kashyap who has repeatedly proved himself as a bright and brilliant director, penetrating producer and sharp screen writer. Kashyap has made a long way since his unreleased debut film ‘Paanch’. The movie remains unreleased till date as Anurag has refused to make cuts in the movie as suggested by the Censor Board. His next directional ventures Black Friday was also banned because of controversial subject. It was the success of Dev-D in 2009 which makes him one of the most sought directors of Bollywood.
He was born in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh and did his early education from Dehradun and Scindia School, Gwalior. He has a brother, Abhinav Kashyap, who wrote and directed 2010-hit Dabanng starring Salman Khan and a sister, Anubhuti Kashyap, who assisted him in films Dev D and Gangs of Wasseypur. Its a mere coincidence that Abhinav Kashyap’s first directional debut released on Anurag’s birthday.
Anurag Kashyap Birthday Special : Top 15 interesting facts you must know about Anurag Kashyap
- Anurag did his graduation from Hansraj College, Delhi, as he wanted to become a scientist initially.
- During graduation he watched world movies in the International Film Festival of India with a jet speed of 55 movies in 10 days. Film ‘Bicycle Thieves’ transformed his life.
- Anurag got his first break as a screenplay writer in RGV’s Satya (1998).
- He was also the screenplay writer for Deepa Mehta’s ‘Water’ (2005) which was an Oscar nominated film.
- Anurag married to actress Kalki Koechlin in 2011 in a traditional Tamilian trend in Ooty. Formerly married to Aarti Bajaj (2003-2009) and has a daughter, Aaliya.
- He is well-known for his voluminous use of lighting and color corollary to magnify the mood and dramatic effects in his films.
- His movies have core concerns of drug and drink drama, superfluous smoking, adolescent angst, enormous rampage and resentment, arrogance, and all of the above self shattering, due to their parts in his very own life.
- Black Friday (2004), No Smoking(2007), D (2009), Gulaal(2009), That Girl in Yellow Boots(2011), and Gangs of Wasseypur(2012) are his well acclaimed works to name a few.
- Won the Filmfare Award (1998) and Star Screen Awards (1999) for Ram Gopal Verma’s Satya for the best Screenplay. Also won the Grand Jury Prize at Indian Film Festival (2005) in Los Angeles and Best Screenplay in Star Screen Awards for the film, Black Friday.
- He is said to be a mentor to veteran actors like Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Huma Qureshi, Richa Chaddha and ex-wife Kalki Koechlin and directors like Vikramaditya Motwane, Bijoy Nambiar, Rajkumar Gupta.
- He was listed on The DNA power list: Top 50 influentials, a list of 50 most influential Indians in 2011.
- Apart from directing and writing films, Anurag is also a big producer and have produced some critical and commercially successful movies like The Lunchbox,Shahid, Queen,Udaan,Lootera etc.
- Anurag was a theater artist in Delhi and has acted in movies like Luck By Chance, Shagird, Black Friday, No Smoking, Bhootnath Returns and many more.
- Anurag Kashyap is currently directing Amitabh Bachchan in TV series Yudh.
- Anurag’s upcoming movies include Bombay Velvet featuring Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma in the lead roles. Karan Johar will play a role of protagonist in the movie.
Blog to Bollywood wishing a very Happy Birthday to Anurag Kashyap.